2. “Don’t expect your spouse to make you happy,” is Doris’ advice to young wives. She warns that pressuring your partner to meet all your needs is not going to work. Bob & Doris Knecht, of Rapid City, IA, have been married for 64 years.
3. “It’s OK to disagree; learn to bend!” Herbert & Zelmyra Fisher, of Craven County, North Carolina not only know how to stay married, they also know how to keep having fun and to change with the times. Now both over 100 years old, they started a Twitter page together to celebrate their 85th anniversary.
4. “Put God first in your life,” advise Glenn and Ruth Shinn, of Toledo, Ohio. They have been married over 70 years and are still involved in a Bible study.
5. “Respect your partner, exactly as they are.” Giuseppe and Giuseppina Pignataro of Sydney, Australia, have been married for 50 years.
6. “Never go to bed mad.” Married 77 years, Ray and Irma Ziff, of Thousand Oaks, California, have lived by this Biblical advice.
7. “Walk together and share what your reading with each other.” Bob and Cindy Venables of Stanmore Bay, New Zealand, are avid readers who have been walking and talking for 51 years.
8. “Travel together for work, fun and ministry.” Herschel and Joan Jones, of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, have been taking trips as a team for over 50 years.
9. “Allow each other to have unique interests and always support one another.” Brian & Allison Davey (Mayor Alison Davey) of Cessnock, New South Wales, have been shining bright as individuals and a couple for over 50 years.
10. “Through the ups and downs of life, just get on with it!” Too many spouses want to make a fuss about the hard times, but Dorie and Harold Coupland have set a record as the longest married couple in Britain at 78 years, by always “getting on with it!” They make their home in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom.
11. “Work hard and spend wisely.” Italo & Maddalena Maratta, of Highland Park, New Jersey, where they own a business. They have been married for over 50 years.
12. “Never even consider divorce.” Frank and Jan Mossfield, of New South Wales, Australia, have been married more than 50 years and encourage young couples to commit to one another for life.
Researched & Compiled by Marnie Swedberg
Copyright 2011 @ www.Marnie.com